Monday, May 21, 2012

Letter Of The Day - U






Welcome to the Letter of the Day at My Cricut Craft Room!

While trying to decide what to make for todays project, I thought of my friend Maria. When I started scrapping four years ago I joined a few scrapbooking groups on MySpace where we met. We became good friends and eventually met in person when she came to visit and go to a Scrapbook Expo with me.

This sweet little girl you see here is Marias daughter, Sophia. The reason I thought of her is because Sophia, who has been through so much for being just 5 years old had open heart surgery last week.  Maria always refers to her as her 'Princess' so I thought to myself, every little Princess needs a Unicorn Magic Wand and if any little girl deserves it, she does. So I made it for her with lots of love. I'll be mailing it to her this week and I hope she enjoys it as much as I enjoyed making it for her.

 Here's Princess Sophia, bravely getting ready to go into surgery. She's such a strong girl, less than a week later she is at home and doing great!


Now that you know what inspired me, here is what came from that inspiration.....
TADA! A Unicorn Magic Wand.


~


Here's how to make one for your little Princess:
The unicorn image is found on page 22 of  the Paper Doll Dress Up cartridge. I cut it at 4 inches (<pixy>, accessories 3). The pictures make it hard to see that I used white flock on the body and pink flock on the tail and mane. Silver Martha Stewart glitter was used on the horn and Glossy Accents on the nose and hooves. A tiny Prima flower with an even tinier Queen & Co. pearl on her mane and a cute pink eyeshadowed googly eye makes her face too cute.  Finished it off by drawing the smile and detail lines onto the flock using a black Signo pen. I used a 3/4" Cosmo Cricket Glüber and attached the pink tulle to it. Then used a Glüber that I cut in half to attach the Unicorn to the tulle. I painted a 12" dowel white, then when it was dry I went over the white with Folk Art Extreme Glitter in hologram color to give it some sparkle. The pics don't show this well, but it looks pretty. I promise! I found some iridescent curling ribbon in my wrapping paper stash that goes well with the pink on the Unicorn so I attached two pieces of it to the top of the dowel as streamers. Next I adhered the tulle with the Unicorn on top of the dowel. Abracadabra, I had a cute magic wand that was quick and easy to make!

If you haven't done so already, please be sure and stop by My Cricut Craft Room to check out all of todays  projects!

Thanks for stopping by, I hope I've inspired you today!




28 comments:

  1. I absolutely love this!! Thanks for the directions!! I have paperdoll dress up and want to make one for each of my twin nieces!! Christina

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's so Beautiful!She will love it!It's a Perefct fit for a Princess!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. it's adorable, she'll love it! TFS
    Janet Royer- MCCR-Dt Creative Kuts-Dt

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aside from being incredibly talented you are sucha good person and awesome friend. Thank you for keeping my princess Sophia in your thoughts. She is going to LOVE her Unicorn magic wand :) love ya!! U need an Etsy store!!!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. that is so nice and beautiful.... she will love it .... I hope it brightens her day and she feels and gets well sooon... such a beautiful lil girl... I will pray she feels better soon much love TaRaBLaCk

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is super cute thanks for the instructions

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey Little Princess Sofia, I hope you are doing well, you are such a brave little Princess. I hope you are feeling better and will be healthy again soon. MISS LINDA

    ReplyDelete
  8. I do have to agree baby girl you are a Princess, not just any Princess but a "brave" Princess. And having your lil Unicorn that was made especially for you by Raquel is perfect (such a cute project) I send a big hug and unicorn kisses to you and pray that each day you get stronger and stronger. Raquel you did a perfect job and you are very special for dedicating your project to this beautiful little girl.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love it! Unicorns are a big thing in my house!

    ReplyDelete
  10. She is so beautiful and a brave little princess :) I am do happy that she has a pretty little unicorn to be her friend along this journey and look..... She's already doing great and healing :) in all her very Blessed years to come I hope her prettily unicorn is with her :) what a grand idea and so beautiful, I love it :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a brave little girl! I'm sending hugs her way!

    Racquel, I love the unicorn wand! You did a fantastic job!!! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is so precious just like precious little Sophie. May Sophie receive many blessings and live a charmed life just like a unicorn does. Raquel, you excelled in this one. Big hugs to you both.

    Pat Chamberlain

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow this lil princess is so brave considering what she has gone thru in such a short time my prayers to her n her family.....n ur wand is so adorable n it sounds pretty simple to make

    ReplyDelete
  14. Raquel,
    This is absolutely precious!!! I know it will bring a smile to sweet little Sophia's face. Hugs and prayers to her for a swift recovery.
    Kathy
    My Cricut Craft Room Design Team
    http://3spoileddogs.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  15. How beautiful she is, may God continuing blessing you!!! Awesome Job!!!
    Vanessa

    ReplyDelete
  16. Beautiful little girl and such a lovely Unicorn for her!
    I agree, all princesses should have a magical unicorn wand!
    Teresa
    MCCR DT

    ReplyDelete
  17. Unicorns hold special magic -- may this wonderful little unicorn help you heal and be up and running in no time, Princess Sophia! Hugs and prayers being sent your way from Maryland! :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a great story Raquel I am sure Princess Sopia is going to love this! TFS, Mary M

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a fabulous unicorn wand! Perfectly fitting for a fabulous little princess!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thx.. for sharing Raquel's story...great job on the unicorn..

    ReplyDelete
  21. What a touching story. I hope Little Princess Sophia enjoys her unicorn. It is for sure a Pretty Unicorn made for a Pretty Princess.

    ReplyDelete
  22. precious story.. prayers will be sent for her! LOVE the unicorn!! my cricut craft room design team sis Doris

    ReplyDelete
  23. So happy little Princess Sophia is doing well!! Must be that unicorn magic wand that helped out!! Hope all of your future days are magical Sopia!!!

    ReplyDelete
  24. awesome project for her. Have to agree no child should have to endure what many are going thru. Always nice to have the little pick me uppers. TFS this Raquel.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I saw this on the Cricut Project Center. Thank you for giving a link to your blog! This is such a sweet project and awesome gift! I am sure she loved it-- what a sweet gesture!

    Nadia

    ReplyDelete
  26. Hello, i'm looking for a unicorn image and your project came up. I'm looking at the Paper Dolls Dress Up cartridge online and don't see the unicorn you used. It is just not shown on the packaging or am I looking at the wrong cartridge? Thank you!

    Leah

    ReplyDelete